Browse our list of Frequently Asked Questions
What is DataWinners?
How does it work?
- Access to the DataWinners website
- A local telephone number in your project country, and
- A bulk SMS package.
From the DataWinners website you:
- Design and build data collection questionnaires (forms) for your project
- Create training materials that teach your staff how to format SMS responses to your questionnaires
- Register data senders and subjects
- Create automatic reminders that send SMS messages reminding staff to send in data
In the field:
Your staff collect answers to your questionnaires and SMS the answers to the local number provided by DataWinners. The service works with any phone that can send SMS
Back at DataWinners:
You have access to view, analyze and download your data in real time. You can share your data by setting account and user permissions, enabling others in your organization to have immediate access to critical project information.
What can you do with DataWinners?
- Stock monitoring (medication, mosquito nets)
- Monthly activity summaries (patients seen at a health center)
- Client satisfaction surveys
- Sales Receipt collections
- Water-point monitoring
What makes DataWinners different?
Unlike mobile data collection toolkits that require configuration and software expertise, you can use DataWinners with no IT experience.
DataWinners has taken on the hardest part of SMS data collection – negotiation with telecoms. Your DataWinners subscription covers the costs of SMS data collection including a local phone number and pre-paid SMS.
Where can I use DataWinners?
Can I try DataWinners without subscribing?
What languages does DataWinners support?
Is this open-source? Who is the code base available to?
DataWinners hosted service is one of the first applications built using the Mangrove data collection framework, itself an open source project that develops core tools for mobile data collection, aggregation, analysis, and visualization targeting SMS, Web, J2ME and Android via XForms. The Mangrove initiative is collaboration of ThoughtWorks, Inc, the Modi Research Lab at Columbia University and HNI.
The goal of these open-sourced projects is to create a global community, working together to make mobile data collection better. The entire code base for DataWinners and Mangrove is available for download here. We encourage partners to contribute code and ideas so DataWinners and Mangrove continue to innovate.